Cable TV is a luxury that more and more Americans are enjoying each year. With cable and satellite providers constantly competing to offer the most channels at the lowest prices, it’s no wonder there are so many people buying in to the hype. After doing a little research, it was surprising to find out that many of the most popular cable channels are educational or informative in nature. This year viewers left most of the drama behind, swapping in knee-slapping comedies instead.
1. TBS– With their slogan “very funny,” it isn’t surprising to find this cable station at the top of the list with their shows like “The Big Bang Theory” and “Cougar Town.”
2. Discovery– It was a shock to see this network that delves in to the lives of plants, animals and humans at the top of the list. Not only do they have regular programs detailing the lives of some of the most dangerous jobs and fascinating creatures, they also feature seasonal specials on a broad range of topics.
3. The Weather Channel– Instead of waiting for the nightly news to find out the next day’s forecast, many viewers switch to this channel to catch a glimpse at the weather in their area as well as across the country.
4. Nickelodeon– Kids watch cable too! This station is dedicated to bringing comical and appropriate programs to children around the country.
5. Food Network– A riser to the top in the last few years, this TV station features great tutorials as well as nail-biting dramas and competitions. Some of the most famous food stars have gotten their start here like Paula Dean and Bobby Flay. Although their shows are still airing, they have both dabbled in reality competition shows like “The Next Food Network Star,” and “America’s Worst Cooks.”
6. ESPN– A great channel for sports enthusiasts that spends just the right amount of time on the day’s greatest moments and glimpses in to the past as well. This channel brings old sports news and new sports news together in one place.
7. C-Span– Is the only way to see a real look in to the politics and government in the country. It might not be primetime worthy, but millions of viewers tune in each day. Tune in to these broadcasts for a better idea of what is going on in the world of politics.
8. TLC– This station plays on human curiosity, creating reality TV shows based on the lives of every kind of person, hobby and problem you can imagine. Their claim to fame was with classics like “What Not to Wear,” that are still airing. New shows like “Sister Wives,” and “Toddlers in Tiaras,” have sparked controversies that draw new viewers in.
9. Lifetime Television– There is never a dry eye after watching an infamous Lifetime Original Movie; however, this station strives to bring real life in to each viewer’s home.
10. Comedy Central– At the bottom of the list, but viewers of all ages can enjoy programs on this station. Be sure to check the rating of the programs before tuning in with children around; some jokes are a little brash for the young ones.
These channels are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to great cable television. There are thousands of channels, and many premium cable channels, that see just as much viewership.